While serving the Lawrence Circuit of the Evangelical Church, S.W. McKesson in 1869 preached in the school house, just north of the present location of the Worden UM Church, and then organized the Willow Springs Evangelical Church.
In 1872 with John Wuerth as pastor, the first church was built at a cost of $1,300. The work was donated and the land given by Henry Fager. The Sunday School was organized in 1874.
Annual Conference sessions for the Evangelical Church were held at Willow Springs in 1878 and again in 1886.
The Church was on the Eudora Circuit from 1885 till 1905 when it was placed on the Deer Creek Circuit.
In 1906 Willow Springs became Worden Mission and that same year a new parsonage was built and the following year the old church was remodeled.
In 1933 the 2nd Church building was dedicated and in 1962 a new parsonage was built.
This Church has, by means of unions, undergone two denominational name changes. In 1946 the Evangelicals and the United Brethren joined to become the Evangelical United Brethren Church. Then in 1968, the E.U.B. and the Methodist Church joined to form the present United Methodist Church.
Worden is a vital and growing Church that is rich in its history and its faith. In August of 2006, we moved into the present building and it was dedicated in September of 2006.